Building a Better Bradford
The study area for this planning process includes the City of Bradford, Foster Township and Bradford Township. The overriding goal of this program is to improve the quality of life for the people living in all three municipalities. It has become increasingly clear through the interview and fact-finding activities that the downtown core of the City of Bradford is the primary center of the entire region, and the greatest amount of work, as well as the greatest amount of potential, lies in this location.
This regional strategy includes proposals for economic development, zoning, tourism and community development for the whole study area, but it is notable that the majority of the “bricks and mortar” proposals are about improving the center of town. There are architectural improvements to be made elsewhere, but the necessity for a strong and healthy downtown as an anchor is of vital importance for the quality of life of the Bradford Community.
The primary objectives that have been identified below are divided into six strategies. It should not be surprising that in such a multi-disciplinary effort there are objectives and actions which could be placed under multiple strategies. The groups below attempt to combine goals that make sense as a group of tasks to be overseen by the same committee.
- Exploit identified industry clusters in order to enhance and support a sustainable
and competitive local economy
- Capitalize on regional retail gap opportunities to help grow the local economy
Provide lifelong learning and skill development opportunities that will lead to a
world-class regional workforce
- Support and foster new industry, research, innovation and entrepreneurship
- Improve the quality, availability and diversity of housing options in Bradford for
homeowners and renters in both market rate and low-income housing
- Support and encourage mixed-income neighborhoods
- Enhance and increase social & economic activity in the downtown core of Bradford
Preserve Bradford’s Historic Downtown core
- Support and encourage efforts that make downtown Bradford a place where
residents can “live, work and play”
- Create a clearinghouse of information to strengthen and boost civic pride in Bradford
- Encourage the development of places for local students to gather and have fun
- Address the demographic and economic realities of Bradford’s declining population
- Increase cooperation and collaborative efforts among Bradford’s communities and
Recreation and Tourism
- Welcome visitors to Bradford with attractive lighting, gateways and clear signage
- Improve Bradford’s image as a destination and capitalize on the outdoor
amenities of the region
- Revitalize the Tunungwant Creek and recognize it as an asset
- Make improvements to the Bradford community to positively impact the
health of residents, the sustainability of the local economy and the
sustainability of the local environment.